Thursday, December 4, 2008

...Chocolate Pecan Pie.


Don't know what came over me, but last night after I got home from work, (yes I do have a real daytime grown-up job) and in between the Christmas decorating, photo taking, and blogging, I decided to bake a pie! This one happens to be one of my all time favorites. I have to say though, I felt a bit silly eleven o'clock at night whipping out my camera and snapping photos. I truly believe that photographing food is definitely an art and I have so much respect for the photographers of all my favorite foodie magazines! Trust me though, I guarantee this tastes much better than it looks.

Bon Appetit!

Ingredients:

For the pastry dough:

1 1/4 cups soft winter-wheat flour, such as
White Lily brand, or cake flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup cold solid vegetable shortening

4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut
into small cubes

3 to 6 Tbs. ice water

For the filling:

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup light corn syrup

1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

3 eggs, lightly beaten

2 Tbs.Brandy (optional)

1 Tbs. grated orange zest

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1/4 cup good quality chocolate chips

Directions:

To make the pastry, in a bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add the shortening and cut in with a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingers until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add the butter and cut in until it forms tiny pea-size balls. Add the ice water a little at a time, stirring and tossing with the pastry blender or a fork until the mixture holds together. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into an 11-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Fold the round into quarters and place in a

9 1/2-inch nonstick or traditional tart pan with a removable bottom. Unfold, then press gently into the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim the overhang even with the pan rim. Refrigerate until ready to fill.

Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325°F.

To make the filling, in a bowl, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, eggs, bourbon, orange zest, vanilla, salt,chocolate chips, and chopped pecans. Pour into the chilled pastry shell and place the pan on a baking sheet.

Bake until the center is slightly soft to the touch, the edges are set and the crust is golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes, then remove the pan sides and slide the tart off the pan bottom onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream. Serves 8.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for the recipe. I am definitely going to try that! Yummy! Thank you so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails